Our scientific program aims to generate a database of all dolphin and whale species found along the Pacific Coast of Nicaragua and the East coast of Australia
WHY IS THIS PROJECT SPECIAL ?
- Pioneering research and conservation project for cetaceans (Nicaragua)
- First publications on fauna in scientific journals (Nicaragua)
- Discovery of the presence of a second population of humpback whales (Nicaragua)
- Discovery of feeding behavior of humpback whales in the breeding zone (Nicaragua)
- Identify cetacean species (dolphins and whales) in Nicaragua
- Determine the current status of different populations of dolphins and whales
- Determine the distribution and use of habitat for each population
- Identify critical and sensitive areas for each species of dolphin and whale
ACTIONS & EXPECTED RESULTS
- Monitoring of different species of cetaceans.
- Interactive scientific program with fishermen and tour operators
- Evaluate the status of different cetacean populations.
- Define critical areas for cetacean populations.
- Identify possible conservation problems.
- Scientific publications in international newspapers.
- Implementation of management measures.
- Improve knowledge of cetaceans in Central America.